Integrity

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Business Ethics Pledge Movement

The world of ethics in the business and the professional environment has constantly been in the news. An effort is currently being made to increase the existence of integrity and ethics in business and organizations. We as individuals are or can be a big part of forcing the business community to operate with integrity in their decisions and the treatment of their customers. This movement needs our help. The movement culminates into a business ethics pledge, which businesses sign to make a commitment to operate their business based on ethical principles. I discovered this organization through reading a book titled Modern Day Heroes: In Defense of America. This is a great book that honors all heroes of society not just the military. The authors of the book are: Pete Mitchell and Bill Perkins.

I signed this pledge as I feel it is important as an individual and a business person to make a commitment to ethics/integrity principles. This commitment was an easy choice for me. I always make sure that work I complete is my best effort and I expect the best effort from others. In dealing with businesses I expect quality products and services and if I do not receive them I take efforts to show my displeasure through available channels. We as individuals must force businesses to operate to the principles outlined in the pledge. This is the only way change will take place.

While there are those businesses which do operate under the principles of this movement there are others that do not. We must require quality products and services or let businesses know that there are other places where you can do business. If I do not receive quality products or services from a company or organization, I stop using that business unless they make an honest effort to change. Commitment must be documented to support statements made. Without documentation there is no evidence of change.

The principles in the pledge are important. I have a web site: http://www.myqualitywriting.com/ on which I have identified my commitment to this movement. There is also links to other articles I have written on the subject of integrity in various elements of society or conditions which exist. Some examples are Integrity in Education, Integrity in Management and Integrity in Auditing. I have also written a book titled Integrity: Do You Have It? 2nd edition, which can be found on several bookstore sites including Amazon.com. A link to the pledge site is noted below. I highly recommend that you access the site and learn about the movement and the commitment businesses make who have signed the pledge. The link is www.business-ethics-pledge.org.

Through the link provided in the previous paragraph you will find the contents of the pledge and links to ethics articles associated with the principles. The tab titled Principled Profit Book will take you to a site that has much information to help the business person see why having integrity and ethics is beneficial. There is also another great source of information. A book titled Principled Profit: Marketing That Puts People First by Shel Horowitz. I have bought this book and it is a great resource for the business community in identifying the positive results of making the pledge commitment.

As examples of my commitment to this pledge I have added a link to the pledge site through my email signature, posted comments on writing forums about the pledge, identified my commitment on my business cards and continually talk about the movement. This article is also another way to communicate information about this important movement. The contents of the pledge are noted below. If you have a desire to make the commitment, please go to the link and sign the pledge. The content of the pledge is:

“I pledge allegiance, in my heart and soul, to the concepts of honesty, integrity, and quality in business. I recognize that the cornerstone of success is treating all stakeholders fairly, with compassion, and with a commitment to service. Working from abundance, I recognize that even my competitors can become important allies. I will not tolerate crooked practices in my business, from co-workers, direct or indirect reports, supervisors, managers, suppliers, or anyone else—and if I encounter such practices, I will refuse to go along with them and report them to appropriate authorities within and outside the company. I pledge to support the "triple bottom line" of environmental, social, and financial responsibility. And I pledge to participate in a serious effort to focus the business community on these principles, by sharing this message with at least 100 other business leaders.”

In society today it is important as individuals and business people to make a commitment to ethical principles. I am tired and I am sure there are many others who are tired of unethical decisions that have been made which impact our way of life. Together we can start a change in the concept and perception of the way businesses deal with their customers. Let’s make a commitment to convey the message that we require to be treated with respect and honesty. This commitment involves honesty from businesses and others. People must perform their responsibilities and not force their work on others. Decisions that are made by us as individuals and as business persons must be based on ethical principles. This includes making sure those products and services with which we have an impact are of the highest quality and perform as advertised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home